The Opera Theater provides opportunities for students to learn and practice skills related to operatic performance from the standard repertoire and contemporary works.
Georgia State’s four choirs provide a range of musical experiences for our students from traditional choral repertoire, chamber music, early music, vocal jazz, opera and large masterworks.
Schmidt Virtual Vocal Competition
Important Dates & Deadlines:
February 13, 2021 Application Deadline
February 24, 2021 Video Submission Deadline
March 6, 2021 Master Class and Awards Ceremony
- The Schmidt Vocal Competition is held annually in 17 locations throughout the U.S. in partnership with regional colleges and universities.
- It is open to sophomore, junior, and senior high school singers.
- Some competitions are being held in a virtual format this Spring due to ongoing concerns about the coronavirus.
- Participants must apply to compete by the application deadline. They are then given the opportunity to “order a pianist” for a recorded track and prepare their video entries. Videos must be uploaded by the video submission deadline.
- Schmidt Vocal Competition will host an online master class followed by a YouTube Live Awards Ceremony for each virtual competition location. To be eligible for cash awards and scholarships, singers must be present.
- First, second, and third place winners who choose to attend Georgia State University are eligible to receive a $4,000 matching scholarship ($1,000 over 4 years).
Schmidt Vocal Competition Contacts:
Linda McAlister, Executive Director
Brie Williams, Program Assistant
Georgia State University Contact:
The School of Music offers a wide variety of outstanding performance opportunities in instrumental and vocal music. Ensembles are available to all students in the university through audition.
Haas Howell Bldg
75 Poplar Street
Atlanta, GA 30303