Required University Application Materials
- Transcript(s): Upload unofficial copies of transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. The institution logo and your name must be present on the copies. Official transcripts will be required upon acceptance into the program.
- Official TOEFL/IELT Scores (international applicants only): Institutional code 5251 should be used for reporting TOEFL scores.
- Personal/Goal Statement: Please provide a statement of your educational and career goals (be as specific as possible).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Upload within the online Slate application.
- Writing Sample: Provide a scholarly/research paper on a subject in the field of music of a level of intellectual and critical engagement appropriate to graduate-level work.
- Letters of recommendation: 2 letters of recommendation are required. Applicants must enter the names and contact information of the 2 recommenders within the application. An electronic recommendation request will be sent to recommenders, and recommendation letters must be submitted via this request. It is strongly advised that letters of recommendation are completed before the application deadline and are written within the last year. Recommendations submitted after this date are not guaranteed to be reviewed.
- GPA: Students considered for admission into the graduate program generally have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
School of Music Application Materials: Complete the “Start an Application” fields to view your specific application and audition requirements for the School of Music.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Upload within the online Acceptd application.
An audition is required when applying to the non-degree program leading toward teacher certification in music. The audition will be held after the application materials have been processed and before acceptance to the university. The purpose of the audition is to demonstrate evidence of the technical proficiency and musical artistry necessary to inspire young people’s study of music. It consists of four parts:
- Perform repertoire on primary instrument or voice (between three and five minutes in duration), demonstrating the highest level of current musical ability.
- Play “My Country ’tis of Thee” on the piano.
- Conduct “My Country ’tis of Thee.” (The interviewers will be the performers.)
- Sightread a simple four-part chorale on the piano.
In addition to the general requirements of the College of the Arts, the School of Music has the following requirements:
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Music or Graduate degree in Music. Applicants wishing to be licensed who do not hold a bachelor’s degree in music or waivers from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission must apply either for admission to a second bachelor’s degree in music education or as post-baccalaureate students to complete the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in music education. Further information on both programs may be obtained from the Music Education Division.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
For questions about the Non-Degree Teacher Licensure program, please contact Dr. Patrick Freer – [email protected]