Georgia State University Choral Program
Georgia State University’s School of Music is home to a decades-long tradition of excellence in choral music. Our four choirs provide a range of musical experiences for our students from traditional choral repertoire, chamber music, early music, vocal jazz, opera and large masterworks. GSU truly is a place where singers feel dedicated, challenged and inspired.
Departmental ensembles have achieved local, national and international recognition through performances with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera, and appearances at conferences of the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) and the Georgia Music Educator’s Association (GMEA). In January of 2018, the GSU University Choirs hosted a three-day residency and joint concert with GRAMMY Award-Winning vocal ensemble, Roomful of Teeth and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer, Caroline Shaw.
In addition to the bachelor of music in choral music education or voice performance, The GSU School of Music is proud to offer the master of music degree in choral conducting. The conducting students benefit from an energetic choral faculty, an abundance of podium time with multiple choirs and ample performance opportunities. Graduate assistantships that include stipends and full or partial tuition remission are available for choral and vocal students.
- The international award-winning Georgia State University University Singers is the School of Music’s premier vocal ensemble. Selected by competitive audition, the choir is represents the diverse population of Georgia State University. In May of 2017, the University Singers won first place in the renowned Marktoberdorf International Chamber Choir Competition during a tour of Austria and Germany. In May of 2013, the University Singers competed in La Florilège Vocal de Tours where they placed second overall in the mixed choir category. The choir’s first professional recording, Evening Hymn (Gothic Records), is available on iTunes, Amazon, and wherever CD’s are sold. The ensemble’s invited performances include appearances before the Georgia Music Educators Association, American Choral Directors Association and at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame Awards. Members of the GSU University Singers have been featured on The Walking Dead and the ensemble has performed with Andrea Bocelli. Additional tours have taken them throughout much of the United States, including Carnegie Hall on two occasions, and six international tours with stops in France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Yugoslavia, Finland, Russian, Estonia, Canada and Great Britain. University Singers rehearses Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1-2:30pm.
- MUS 1080A, MUS 3080A, MUS 7080A1 credit – Dr. Deanna Joseph, instructor
Purchase our music on iTunes, Amazon, or anywhere music is sold.
- The Women’s Chorus is an auditioned women’s ensemble designed for individuals with an interest in singing repertoire specifically written for women’s voices. This chamber ensemble performs throughout the year both on campus and off campus. Singing a variety of genres and styles, this ensemble is designed to appeal to both music majors and those majoring outside of the field of music. Permission of instructor is required for enrollment. The Women’s Chorus meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:15-3:05pm in Aderhold Learning Center, 430.
- MUS 1082, MUS 3082, MUS 7082
1 Credit – Dr. Jennifer Sengin, instructor
- The Master Singers is an auditioned mixed chamber choir designed to offer laboratory rehearsal and performance experience for graduate-student conductors and upper-level music education students. The ensemble is designed to appeal to students (music-majors and non-music-majors) who wish to be part of an ongoing conducting masterclass environment as well as those wanting to build knowledge and skill in the areas of sight-reading, conducting gesture, rehearsal techniques, and choral repertoire. Permission of instructor is required for enrollment. The Master Singers rehearse Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30 pm.
- MUS 1083, MUS 3038, MUS 70831 credit – Dr. Deanna Joseph, instructor
- The Choral Union is the largest choral group on campus and is open to university students as well as faculty, staff, and local community members. Consisting of approximately one hundred voices, its large membership includes music major/minors and other singers from throughout the university in all years and areas of study. The Choral Union performs literature for mixed voices from all periods of music history, including jazz, classical, gospel, African American spirituals, and popular music. The chorus performs throughout the year including the Fall & Spring Concerts, Holiday Gala, and other special events. The Choral Union rehearses Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30 pm.
- MUS 1081, MUS 3081, MUS 70811 credit – Dr. Jennifer Sengin, instructor
Interested in singing in a choir at GSU in the Fall 2019?
Fall 2019: Audition and Vocal Hearing Information:
Vocal Hearing Dates for Women’s Chorus and Choral Union
April 23 and 24.
Sign up for a 5-minute time slot.
Vocal Hearing and Audition Dates for all choirs:
August 22, 23, 26, 27, and 28
Sign up for a 5-minute time slot.
Auditions for Master Singers or University Singers for the Spring 2019 semester are by appointment only. Interested singers should email Dr. Joseph directly (email@example.com).