The Organ Performance program prepares students for successful careers in church, and as performers and pedagogues. Completion of the degree normally requires eight (Bachelor of Music) or four semesters (Master of Music) of full-time study. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students to be adaptable as both soloist and collaborative musicians.
- Small and selective program that guarantees individualized attention
- Weekly private lessons and studio class that go well beyond the traditional hour-long format of most schools
- Graduate assistantships at major Atlanta churches available (full tuition plus stipend)
- Lessons are taking place on major instruments by Klais/Schlueter, Klop, Mander and Schantz
- Regular access to eclectic organs for practice
- In addition to lessons in organ performance, the curriculum includes classes in service playing/improvisation, choral conducting, harpsichord, and church music history
- Performance opportunities in the School of Music and the many churches of the city of Atlanta
- Elective courses are offered in diverse areas of music
The mission of the Georgia State School of Music is to preserve, promote and advance humanity’s rich and expanding tradition of artistic music-making through performance, composition, education and research in accordance with the urban and global initiatives of the university.The graduate programs in the School of Music offer unparalleled opportunities in one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. The school enrolls about 90 students in Master of Music degree programs, Artist Certificate programs, and Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs in music education. Students have the opportunity to work with an internationally acclaimed faculty of 40 full-time and 24 part-time faculty in concentrations such as performance, pedagogy, music education, conducting, composition and jazz studies.
The School of Music offers a wide variety of outstanding performance opportunities in instrumental and vocal music. Ensembles are available to all students in the university through audition.
Haas Howell Bldg
75 Poplar Street
Atlanta, GA 30303