Students must apply and be accepted to both the University and School of Music.
The Georgia State application is available through the Office of Admissions by calling 404-413-2500 or by applying online. A separate application to the School of Music is required. Students must submit any required pre-screening audition materials and must complete in-person auditions to be accepted.
Most programs require an audition for admission into the School of Music. Applicants will choose an audition day within the application. Auditions are held on campus. Virtual auditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Instrumentalists must audition on the instrument they will study for their degree program.
- A list of suggested repertoire can be accessed here:
The following programs do not require a formal audition:
- Music Production & Audio Recording– applicants may choose an audition or digital portfolio.
- Music Management- applicants may choose an audition or digital portfolio.
- Non-degree Licensure
- Graduate Music Education programs
- Graduate Music Composition– requires submission of a digital portfolio
Click here for scholarship information and opportunities.
Deadlines for doctoral applications are determined by the College of Education. Ph.D. applications are due March 1 (fall and summer enrollment) and October 15 (spring enrollment). Ed.D. applications are due December 15 (summer enrollment only).
All application materials for the Master of Music and non-degree licensure programs must be on file in the appropriate offices by the following dates:
- Spring admission: November 15 (All concentrations except Conducting)
- Summer admission: March 1 (Music Education and non-degree programs only)
- Fall admission: February 1 (Conducting concentrations)
- June 1 (All concentrations except Conducting)
Double MM Concentrations:
If you would like to be considered for an assistantship, your application must be completed by the last audition date. Please refer to the dates above. For more information, contact the School of Music Graduate Director, Dr. Lara Dahl.
The School of Music coordinates both graduate and undergraduate admissions. Students seeking an undergraduate degree will apply through university admissions and receive additional support from the central office.
Sparks Hall, Suite 200
33 Gilmer St. SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
75 Poplar St
Atlanta, GA 30303