2022 Honors Recital and Dean’s Award
- Obtain an entry form from your applied professor.
- Submit a completed application form to your area coordinator.
- Late or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5pm-Friday, February 4th
- GSU full-time graduate and undergraduate music majors with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, currently studying applied music and/or composition with a GSU School of Music faculty member.
- Students who have won first prize on a previous Honors Recital are not eligible.
REPERTOIRE AND REQUIREMENTS
- Selections should be no longer than 8 minutes in duration. Any entry that exceeds 8 minutes will be disqualified.
- Applicants must provide 4 clean scores (no markings) to each phase of the competition, one of which must be an original published score. Vocalists, please tab the pages if you are using a compilation book or score.
- No substitutions of audition repertoire will be permitted for the Honors Recital.
- Composers who submit original compositions must have the work performed at the Honors Recital audition.
- Students will be judged on the quality of their performance. The judges’ decision is final.
- Student(s) and accompanist must be available to perform on the March 8th recital.
PRELIMINARY COMPETITION – WEEK OF FEBRUARY 4 – 11
Open to ALL applicants
Each of the following areas can advance a portion of their spring enrollment that is CURRENTLY STUDYING APPLIED MUSIC (not to be confused with lab) as determined by area coordinators. The preliminary competition is either in person or online, please confirm with your area coordinator.
- Keyboard (including organ)
COMPETITION – SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Open to the students selected from area preliminary competitions
- Adjudicated by a panel from outside the SOM faculty at First Presbyterian Church (9am) and Kopleff Recital Hall (10:30am).
- The top students will advance to the Honors Recital Performance. Number of students is determined by length of performance from each piece. Total minutes of music not to exceed 60.
HONORS RECITAL PERFORMANCE – TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 8pm
FLORENCE KOPLEFF RECITAL HALL
Top performances advance to this round as determined by the outside adjudicators.
1st place winner determined at the competition round by outside adjudicators.
Prize awarded from the Dean’s office for 1st Place for $500.00 (pending funding)
Each performer will receive an audio recording of their performance, video recording of their performance, and live action still photographs in digital format for their use.