The United States Marine Band in Hawaii Has a New Addition

Posted On January 15, 2019
Categories News

The School of Music is pleased to announce that Marcus Moore (B.M. ’19) has accepted a full-time position as clarinetist in one of the 10 United States Marine Field Bands.  At his audition, the graduating senior impressed the panel of judges to the extent where he was offered a military post of his choice. Moore selected Hawaii where he reports to active duty after training.

This important audition required Moore to practice and rehearse countless hours, under the guidance of his longtime mentor, Dr. Kenneth Long, associate professor of clarinet at the College of the Arts School of Music. “I studied with Dr. Long for almost five years,” said Marcus. “He has been one of the greatest teachers I have had, and it was he who pushed me hard to be my very best.”

Moore, who played the clarinet since 2011, participated in the GSU Panther Band, the Georgia State University Symphony Wind Orchestra, neoPhonia ensemble, and the GSU Opera Orchestra.

“Marcus is a very uniquely talented individual. His natural ability as a clarinetist is matched only by his limitless curiosity and passion for music. I could not be prouder of him.” said Dr. Long.

Marine band members are selected through a rigorous audition procedure and must satisfy additional security and physical requirements to be eligible.  Selected band members serve under a four-year contract as active duty enlisted Marines and are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and physical standards.