The Harrower Summer Workshop
The Harrower Summer Workshop Gala Dinner on June 7 was a spectacular event. It was a successful fundraiser benefiting Opera Studies at GSU. The students from the workshop performed alongside the guest artists, Indra Thomas and Morris Robinson. The following weekend the students performed in three operas Falstaff, Der Rosenkavalier and The Marriage of Figaro.
The remarkable faculty at Harrower included Tomer Zvulan, the Atlanta Opera’s new general and artistic director as a masterclass clinican, artistic director Carroll Freeman, Classical Singer magazines’ 2010 Stage Director of the Year and the Valerie Adams Distinguished Professor of Opera Studies at Georgia State University, W. Dwight Coleman, executive director, and Christy Lee, internationally renowned vocal coach. The workshop is in it’s 33rd year.
The workshop featured a comprehensive opera theatre training includes:
• Acting classes
• Private sessions with Harrower’s professional coaches
• Daily movement classes
• Instruction in stage makeup and stage combat
• Foreign language diction
• Seminars and master classes with international artists
• Performance in operatic gala (for selected participants)
• Fully staged and costumed opera performances
• Three tracks of study – the Young Artist Program, the Studio Program, and Directing Internships