- Student Financial Services
Georgia State University invites all incoming freshmen with a Freshman Index of 2900 or higher and transfer students with a 3.3 or better grade point average to apply for a University Scholar award.
Selection of University Scholars is a highly competitive process. Students who receive appointments will be among the best and brightest members of their class.
University Scholars who meet the responsibilities of their assigned positions will receive the following benefits:
- $2000 per academic year (based on availability of funds).
- University Scholars are encouraged to apply to the Honors College at the following site: www.gsu.edu/honors/prospective-students-requirements.html.
- The opportunity to work 8 hours per week during a semester in positions relevant to their academic interests and goals. For example, University Scholars might assist professors with research projects, work in instructional labs, or work with ensemble performances.
- Assignments may be renewed if a student maintains a 3.0 or better grade point average (GPA).
To apply to be a University Scholar, students should submit the following materials to the School of Music Office of Undergraduate Admission by the due date listed on the application.
- The application requires a short essay. In no more than 500 words, explain what motivates you to explore the academic area indicated on the application. What do you want to gain from the University Scholars opportunity?
- University Scholar Application
Completed applications will be reviewed and evaluated using the following criteria:
- School of Music entrance audition
- GPA and academic achievements
- Application essay
- Awards, honors and extracurricular activities
- SAT/ACT scores
- Community service, work experience and career goals
- Letter of recommendation
University Scholar applicants must be admitted to Georgia State University in order to be eligible for placement.
The Honors Program
In the Honors Program, undergraduate students benefit from small classes and close contact with outstanding faculty members. The program is available to all eligible students regardless of the undergraduate college in which they are enrolled. For more information, call 404/413-5577 or visit the Honors Program web site at www.gsu.edu/honors .
- Music Scholarships – All auditioning students are automatically considered for merit-based financial aid. Scholarships are awarded to incoming students on the basis of auditions, academic record, recommendations, and needs of the School.